Crystals like calcium oxalate are very common in the US and world wide
Approximately 29 million people in the United States have crystal challenges. And of those, 50% will experience a recurrence!
That means 8.8% of the population, or 1 in every 11 people deal with crystals on a daily basis. Even if the crystal challenge “passes,” around 15 million people in the US will have recurrence of their crystals!* Here are some more interesting facts about the occurrence and recurrence of crystals:
- – Approximately 80% of crystals are mostly comprised of calcium compounds
- – Among men, the prevalence of crystals is 10.6% compared to 7.1% for women
- – 50% of crystal sufferers have a recurrence within 5 years of the initial event*
- – Emergency room visits for crystals increased 20% between 2005 and 2009*
- – In the southeastern and central southern U.S., there is a high incidence of crystals; this region is often called the “Crystal Belt.”